Seeds are the source of many unbelievably healthy fruits and veggies. But, have you ever thought about what seeds can do for our health? Yes, all seeds are not appropriate to eat, but, there are some seeds that are full of healthy fats, vegetarian protein, fibers and antioxidant polyphenols. Not only this, but these minute wonders have many other health enhancing ingredients. You will get all the necessary information about veggies, fruits and grains. But no concrete and comprehensive information is available on healthy plant seeds. So, today we will see some healthy plant seeds that you can use for good health.
Due to lack of nutritious diet, it is uncommon that people need nutritional supplements. Many times, these supplements area adulterated, and many other times, they don’t suit your body. apart from these issues, there is always a threat of ill effects since they contain a lot of artificially synthesized products. Keeping all this in mind, we can switch to some of these healthy plant seeds. They are natural replacement to not just one type of supplement, but every seeds in itself contain almost everything human body needs for proper functioning and healthy future. So, have a look at 10 healthy plant seeds that you must know about and after this you can decide which on to use.
- Pomegranate seeds: This one tops the list of healthy plant seeds because it is also tasty enough. Pomegranate seeds are considered to be one of the healthiest fruits on the planet. Pomegranate has anti-oxidant, anti-viral and anti-tumor properties. The dark red colored seeds are loaded with Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and folic acid. The medicinal properties are never ending, but the best part is that you don’t have to force yourself to eat it because of its sweet taste. Those who lack iron in their blood are advised by doctors to eat more of pomegranate seeds and juice. Although juice is also good for health, if you want to assimilate all the goodness of pomegranate seeds for good health, it is better you eat them directly.
- Flaxseeds or linseeds: Flaxseed recently gained popularity when scientists claimed that it is packed with nutrients. With several such claims these seeds made their way to the market and many eatable snacks and products were garnished with flaxseeds after this. Can you imagine just two tablespoons of flaxseed contain as much as 6 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein. Now this is quite surprising, isn’t it? Flaxseeds are now famous as health enhancing food and you can buy them online as well as offline. We recommend you to directly take in flaxseeds of good quality rather that opting for food products containing them. This is because you can never trust such products and the processing involved while manufacturing is likely to later the nutritional content of the seeds. Apart from enhancing the overall health and immunity, research evidences also suggest that flaxseed consumption helps improve cardiovascular health.
- Sunflower seeds: Sunflower seeds are definitely seeds for good health because these tiny seeds are loaded with healthy fats, as well as: proteins and fibers. Some phytochemicals, selenium, copper, and magnesium make it a perfect blend of a healthy food. According to a study, sunflower seeds are “the richest source of vitamin E.” so, if you are deficient in Vitamin E, you must get hold of these seeds. Sunflower seeds are easily available at any food store and you can include some amount in your veggies, soup etc.
- Fenugreek seeds: Fenugreek seeds are probably the most common used healthy plant seeds. They are widely used because of their immense health enhancing properties. Specifically, they are used for digestive problems. Anything wrong inside your stomach can be fixed with regular intake of these seeds. To improve your digestive system and to gain all the other health benefits of fenugreek seeds, you simply have to soak the seeds in water overnight. Drink this water on an empty stomach every morning to see the wonder changes. You can also chew some soaked seeds if you don’t have any problem with the taste.
- Sesame seeds: Sesame seeds are well researched and extensively used since ancient times. The women of ancient times used sesame seeds along with honey to stay young and maintain a beautiful skin. I guess they knew the secret of true and natural beauty, right? Scientific research evidences have shown that these seeds are rich in the essential minerals of copper, magnesium and calcium. Not only this, they are great source of both calcium and zinc. In case you are aware of what these two do, both these minerals play a key role in maintaining strong and healthy bones. Just like sunflower seeds, using sesame seeds is also easy. Simply sprinkle it on top of your dish to give it a crunchy taste and healthy flavor.
- Chia seeds: The other healthy seeds have been with us since ancient times. But, chia seeds have recently been in news because researchers believe this is the only answer to all the defeciencies in human body. Chia seeds are tiny black seeds from the plant Salvia hispanica. Even if haven’t heard about the plant, it is likely that you have seen chia seeds. Chia seeds are seeds for good health not because of just one reason. They are loaded with essential vitamins and minerals, and in addition to this, also have high amount of zinc, vitamin B3 (niacin), potassium, vitamin B1 (thiamine) and vitamin B2. Another area in which chia seeds shine is their high antioxidant content. And you know the value of anti oxidants for those who want to stay young and look young. Apart from all this, chia seeds are excellent source of healthy fiber. Like flaxseeds, chia seeds are very high in omega-3 fatty acids. So, grab chia seeds as they are definitely one of the healthy plant seeds.
- Poppy seeds: the list of healthy plant seeds would be incomplete without these seeds. Talking about the nutritional value of poppy seeds, they are excellent source of phosphorous, calcium, and iron. In short, poppy seeds have all the essential nutrients needed to build healthy bones and hence a healthy body. These seeds are also a great source of oleic acid, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. So, if you want to increase all these nutrients and micro nutrients in your body, grab a pack of poppy seeds today. Also, it is extremely simple to add them to your daily diet. Include them in your salad, add them to your muffins or even any vegetable dishes.
- Hemp seeds: If you are a vegetarian, hemp seeds are all you need to meet your protein requirements. In addition to protein, it is loaded with fibers, minerals and many essential vitamins. As a result, eating these healthy plant seeds saves you from many brain, heart, skin and bone problems. Yes, just a few hemp seeds can do all this for you. Whole seeds act as a bulking agent, and they also add fiber to the diet, which can aid digestion. You can add hemp seeds to your smoothies, vegetables, and as a topping to your salad.
- Pumpkin seeds: These seeds contain anti oxidants and vitamins. This helps them reduce inflammation and protect humans from several diseases. Some researchers have proved that diets rich in pumpkin seeds have been associated with a reduced risk of stomach, breast, lung, prostate and colon cancers. You would also believe it once you know the entire nutritional content of the small sized seeds. Be it cholesterol or blood sugar, you can reduce both just by regular intake of these healthy plant seeds.
- Wild rice: Wild rice isn’t directly related to rice, but is a grass seed, seed of an aquatic grass. What made it famous is a huge number of studies carried out in different corners of the world. For instance, researchers at the University of Minnesota identified that wild rice is extremely high in antioxidants. Another such research claimed that diets high in whole grains like wild rice can decrease your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 20–30%. Not only this, a study conducted almost a decade ago in China found wild rice might be effective in lowering cholesterol and other fats in the blood. So, science has a lot to say about these healthy plants seeds and it is up to you to listen and add them to your diet.
These were 10 plant seeds you must know about and also use in your daily diet. Many times things small in size are richer and healthier. The same is the case with all these healthy plant seeds. With these seeds, it would be extremely easy to meet your daily nutritional needs. Not only this, your body doesn’t always have enough of micronutrient, and this also can be easily repaired with these seeds. And in any case they are better and healthier than the artificially produced protein and other nutritional supplements. So, go ahead and keep your body healthy naturally with these healthy plant seeds.